Thursday, October 1, 2009

IPT 301 Week 5

1. Plan for attention: This stated that it is necessary to plan lessons with the students’ developmental levels in mind. We need to use a variety of teaching strategies and engage the students’ curiosity. This will be useful to me in my teaching because I will be more aware of the things that will gain the attention of my class and I will use techniques that will help initially attain and hold the attention of the class.

Relevance: Some teachers present facts and formulas without giving sufficient attention to teaching the students when that information is useful and relevant. This is useful to me in teaching because I will be sure to tell my students why the information they are learning is relevant and when they can use it in their lives. When students know that information is useful or can see it in a real world situation, they are more likely to pay attention and remember the information.

2. Low-road transfer: Spontaneous, automatic transfer of highly practiced skills with little need for reflective thinking. One example of this would be running, this is a skill that we can do automatically and can do while completing other tasks such as dribbling a basketball or talking to a friend. Another example would be typing on the computer, we can use this skill to take notes while we read a textbook or are dictated something to write.

High-road transfer: an individual purposely and consciously applies information learned in one situation to a different situation. An example of this could be that someone gets lost driving and knows that they need to go north and the mountains are to the north so they drive that direction knowing that they are going towards their destination. Another example would be if someone fixed an electronic and then they used the skills they remembered from fixing that to fix their television later.

3. I use low-road transfer everyday in that I can use my listening, reading, and writing skills all at the same time while listening to a lecture, reading slides, and taking notes. However, I also use a lot of high-road transfer as we learn theories and I have to consciously apply them to different instructional strategies we discuss.

4. I have used a lot of algorithms in math classes to solve problems. In algebra, we always had a certain algorithm we would follow to get the answer we were looking for. Also, in physics, we had many formulas and we would find the one that we needed for the problem we needed to solve and simply plug our data into this algorithm,

I have used heuristics often in classes like science where I solved a problem and then had to describe the answer based on analyzing the data we had found.

No comments: