Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Location

Activity Description

Google Earth Content

1. Rosetta, Egypt

Hieroglyphics activity: students will learn about hieroglyphics and use a chart to figure out how to write their names

2. Valley of the Kings

Pharaohs: Choose one Pharaoh from http://www.kingtutone.com/pharaohs/ and read about it and prepare to share something about this Pharaoh with the class

Tour of the Valley of the Kings

  1. Sphinx, Egypt

The Great Sphinx of Giza

Pyramids: the students will learn about the ancient pyramids and then read about a write a description of a parallel structure of another civilization

Layer: 3-D Buildings

  1. Damietta, Egypt

Suez Canal Egypt

The River Nile

Layer:

Borders and Labels


My tour goes with the UEN standards for 6th grade Social Studies standard 1. This standard includes learning about ancient civilizations.
I chose to do a virtual tour on this topic because I find it very interesting myself. I have always wanted to visit Egypt and I think that the kids would really like it too. There are so many interesting things to see and learn about there! A virtual tour would be great compared to other instructional approaches because the students would get excited about pretending that they were there and getting to see the real life images of Egypt. Another idea I could add to this section would be an Egypt day where the students would be able to dress up as Egyptians and share something they had learned with the class. We did this in my 6th grade class and I still remember how exciting it was.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You have some great locations here but I am not exactly clear on what you are going to have the student learn and what Google tools or layers the students are going to use at each stop.

Jered